A year ago I was telling everyone that 2012 was going to be a big year for me. I don’t know why but it just felt like it was going to be one of those years I’d look back at and smile. Part of it is that I always seem to have amazing years when it’s an even numbered year. Nothing against odd numbers – it just turns out that way. It turns out my prediction was true.
The reason I am recapping my year like this is so that when I’m older I can look back at what was going on in my life and remember it (which was my reason for starting a blog to over 10 years ago to begin with).I have the worst memory of anyone I know so this documenting of life is really important to me.
1. Meeting Darren Criss – If you know me at all you know I’m a huge Glee fan and moreover a Darren Criss fan. The AMAZING friends I cohost Glee Chat with on Hypable chipped in and bought me a ticket to see Darren in How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying. If that weren’t enough Natalie even met me there and we got to stand at the stage door together (our first meetup!) as we talked to him. Darren’s a very very nice guy and his character shined in a moment between him and Natalie. What a way to kick of 2012!
2. Hypable Turns 1 Year Old – Hypable.com is something that is so very special to me. Andrew, Richard, Mason and I turned our ideas in to what is now becoming a staple in online fandom. What more could I ask for? I’m really lucky to be a part of something I care so much about. I can’t wait to celebrate our 2nd year April 2013!
3. WVU – After a long struggle that many of you know, I finally got dat degree! All I’ll say is that dark cloud over my head was quickly turned to sunshine this May.
4. Phillip Opens Owen – There’s nothing I love more than seeing my friends and family happy and successful. This year I got to celebrate the grand opening of one of my best friend’s boutiques, Owen. Phillip has been working so hard on this for so long and it was such a beautiful moment to see him open his doors. Here’s a picture I took of him closing his doors on his first day!
5. Traveling to California / San Diego Comic-Con – In June 2011 I told myself that I would do whatever it takes to make it to Comic-Con in 2012. And voila I did! Though this might not seem like a huge deal, anyone who has applied for a press pass for Comic-Con will tell you that it’s a huge achievement just to get your application submitted! I had always wondered when I would visit California and luckily I had an amazing, beautiful time. I had a blast at Comic-Con, met and became very good friends with Debra Wilson, and spent a couple days in L.A. with one of my best friends, Andrew. I also got to meet up with Robby! Couldn’t have asked for a better experience!
6. Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day – Wow. I remember the first time I went to the U.S. Open in 2009 I was standing at the top of Arthur Ashe Stadium emmersed in the event thinking: “why don’t I work here?” 3 years later I became the social media manager for Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day! The people I worked with (Todd, Michael, Chris, Seth) made it a truly amazing work setting. It was so much fun working with and meeting Carly Rae Jepsen, The Wanted, Jordin Sparks, Rachel Crow, Quddus, Missy Franklin, Sloane Stephens and many more. However, one of the biggest moments of my life was when I not only met Andy Roddick but took his picture with Quddus and the greatest tennis player of all time Roger Federer. I’m still pinching myself wondering if this happened:
7. Getting to the Finals of the Cumberland Open – Though I was 2 games away from winning this tournament, I ended up losing in the finals! Just getting to the finals with such awesome talent in Cumberland was really exciting for me. I improved on my results from 2011 and that’s always a good thing.
8. Matt’s Master’s Recital – I met Matt in 2003 and though we haven’t been roommates since 2005, he’s a brother to me. Much like me, he’s had a long journey to his finish lines, but he crossed them. I went to Buffalo, NY to watch him perform his last recital for a small group of family and close friends. It was so amazing to see someone spend so much time on becoming the best at something and having it all pay off! I can’t wait to see what he does next.
9. Serena Williams win Wimbledon, 2 gold medals, the U.S. Open and the season ending Championships – Some people may find this to not be a big deal in their personal lives but when you admire someone as much as I admire Serena, this directly contributes to your overall happiness. Seeing her win the last 4 biggest titles of the year, particularly her gold medal in singles, made me such a happy person. As a tennis player and as a fan these were all huge highlights of 2012!
10. Meeting J.K. Rowling – I still can’t believe this happened. In October, I met up with several Hypable staff members as we went to J.K. Rowling’s Casual Vacancy event in New York City. After the event, we all got to meet her as she signed copies of our books. I said, “Thank you so much for all you’ve done,” to which she responded, “Oh, it’s my pleasure!” with a smile and a twinkle in her eye. I’ve never felt star struck in my life but I was a bit overwhelmed with emotion to have had an exchange with someone I truly admire.
11. My Grandparents’ 50th Wedding Anniversary – This October my amazing and incredible aunt Mechele surprised my grandparents with an awesome party to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. My Dad, my uncle Mark, my cousin Maci and tons of my grandparents friends came and it was an absolute blast! It was so nice to take a moment and celebrate the 2 people who are probably most influential of my life.
12. Obama + Equality – This year we saw Barack Obama reelected as President and marriage equality passed at the ballot box in 4 out fo the 4 states it was on – INCLUDING MARYLAND! It’s really starting to feel like the country is moving forward when it comes to respect. Talk about an amazing year – this was the icing on the cake.
13. Working at Oxygen – After years and years of trying and contemplating when I’d be here full time, I landed one of the most amazing gigs in all the lands: social media coordinator for Oxygen! My life has changed VERY dramatically in the last 2 months but I couldn’t be happier. Living here in NYC, being around my best friends, and meeting all the incredible people I work with (no seriously, they’re like THE BEST people) has been something I’ve not taken for granted. I’m still kind of emotional about the whole thing (and the amazing people I’ve met thus far) so I’ll just leave it at that.
Hopefully a year from now I’ll be recapping the amazing events of my 2013. One huge awesome event that will be happening in the first couple weeks of 2013 is finally getting a key to my own apartment here in NYC! Already off to a great start!
Thank you to everyone who contributed to one of the best years of my life. My friends are my family and I am so lucky and thankful to be in a place to look back at 2012 and smile. Here’s to 2013!