Today is International Women’s Day! And in honor of the day, I wanted to mention 5 women who I inspire me beyond words on many different levels. A mother, a grandmother, a friend, an athlete, and a historical figure I have had a deep connection to since elementary school. In no particular order:
1. A lot of people will talk about their mothers today, but my Mom really stands out in my life. If it weren’t for her, I wouldn’t have the happy, enjoyable beautiful life that I live today. She has set me up for success and happiness in every way she can. I have also inherited her ability to cry when a hat drops. Thanks Mom! I love you and thanks for inspiring me to be who I am.
2. My grandmother has been a second Mom to me in every sense of the word since day 1. She has been through so much in the last few years, yet manages to smile and go through her day the best way she knows how. Because of that, she inspires me that even when the going gets tough, the sun will still come up the next day. I’m lucky to have someone like this in my life.
3. I have the greatest best friend in the world. One thing that I love and am grateful for with my friendship with Brittney is what makes me realize how lucky I am: she is constantly teaching me about life. Even when she fights battles, she always comes off with class, perseverance and grace. She proves to me that people can become better versions of themselves each and every day. She empowers me to be the best person I can be…what more can you ask for with a friend.
4. Serena Williams is my muse. Tennis is obviously a huge part of my life, and her rise from the streets of Compton, to Centre Court of Wimbledon, she has become a world-class athlete in every way. I have learned so much by her attitude both on and off the court!
5. For whatever reason, my ears always perked up whenever I was learning about Harriet Tubman in elementary school. I continue to always find myself fascinated by learning the history and life of Harriet Tubman. Women are who they are today because of her courage. I sometimes think that I am a reincarnation of Harriet Tubman.