Okay so I apparently stirred the pot without even knowing when I said that I wasn’t a fan of this week’s Glee episode. People are wondering why I hate it, so here’s why.
This week was the Christmas episode which found a high school student still believing in Santa, and a cheerleading coach and students uninvitedly roaming around their choir teacher’s house while he’s not there.
I’m always the first person to defend Glee when people like Dave Ryan complain about McKinley high school’s production budget. I get it – it seems over the top. But that’s what this show is. If you can’t suspend your disbelief about elements that make the show fun, then stop watching, right?
So I probably come off seeming like I should have my foot in my mouth when I say that this week’s show was just a tad more unbelievable than ever. Not because of the school budget for the glee club…but because of the story arch.
Here are some things that are giving me a red rump:
– Having a high school student believe in Santa Claus could have been Brittany’s one-liner for the episode. Instead, it was the entire arch of the episode! The writers are getting too comfortable with her and need to move on.
– I was annoyed with the Finn and Rachel situation. I was sick of Finn constantly being a jerk to Rachel. She’s trying. Be nice. (this is just my opinion).
– Sue wrecking THE ENTIRE choir room was a bit ridiculous.
– The Will/Emma storyline is the exact same every single week. Recently Emma got engaged, and that has been the ONLY development of that for the last 5 or 6 weeks. It’s becoming very boring to watch and is usually the time I interject with my thoughts about the episode thus far.
– Beiste not only dressing up like Santa Claus, but then going to Brittany’s house. WTF? This just isn’t even real life anymore! I get that it’s somewhat possible, but …there is a portion of this show that people connect with because it’s relatable. That makes no sense and would never ever happen in reality.
– Finally, Sue and all the glee kids IN SHUE’S HOUSE while he’s not there…to bring him Christmas spirit! – WHAT!? – Not only would that scenario never happen, but never with these character relationships! Did Sue sit down and have a heart to heart with the glee club? NO! What on Earth is going on!?
I could go on for days about the episode. It was cute in a very very surface level way. Other than that, the writing was everywhere, and the characters were not coming off as believable in any way.
So, there you have it @kcessna! 🙂