We’re about half way through season 2 of Glee, and we’ve already had our fair share of Glee tribute shows. The Power of Madonna, Lady Gaga, the Britney episode and Rocky Horror. So, I thought what are some tribute shows that Glee, being a show all about musicals and entertainment, should definitely do? Below are 5 tribute episodes I want to see VERY soon!
1. Rent – Rent was arguably the biggest musical of the 90’s. It just makes sense that Glee would eventually do this. We already saw Idina Menzel as Rachel’s mother, so maybe she could find her way back to the show? I think a Rent show would be just as exciting as a Madonna, Britney, or Rocky Horror show! They could even tie it in with someone getting kicked out of their house and trying to get their own place. May be a bit mature for high school students but I could totally see Finn getting kicked out of the house for doing something stupid and swearing he’s going to get his own place, only to realize he can’t do it on his own, and ends up coming back. Yes, Ryan Murphy if you would like to hire me as a writer gimme a ring.
2. The Great American Songbook – This isn’t as glamorous and probably wouldn’t build as much excitement, but considering it was one of the best times in American musical history, it just seems right. Maybe even a whole tribute to Cole Porter!? This would get a lot of musical Glee fans excited…but maybe not the viewing public in general. They’ve already done a few Songbook songs, but a whole tribute show would be amazing!
3. Boybands/Girlbands – With a talented, good-looking cast, it seems like this would be the next great tribute episode. After seeing the Britney episode, Joey Fatone said that he would love to have an NSync tribute show. Yes, NSync was big, but they’re not relevant at all anymore. Something like Backstreet Boys, NSync, New Kids, Boyz II Men. The girls could get in on it too – Spice Girls, All Saints, En Vogue (OMG just had a flash of Mercedes singing Free Your Mind), Destiny’s Child! This could really be a fantastic episode. Plus with New Kids and Backstreet Boys touring together, they could make an appearance to promote their tour! NKOTBSB!
4. Spice Girls – I could actually see a whole Spice Girls episode happening. I mean they DID have their own movie, and gigantic huge successful reunion tour. There’s no doubting the Spice Girls had a huge influence on pop culture and music. Being one of the biggest (if not THE biggest) Spice Girls fan I know (I ain’t got no shame), a Spice Girls tribute show would only make sense. And seeing as how they’re all laying pretty low (minus Mel B) at the moment, I’m sure they would all love to be on the show. How fun would that be!
5. Michael Jackson – I don’t even know if they can get royalties to songs like this, but a Michael Jackson episode seems inevitable. With all the different iconic images of Michael, it seems like it would fit perfectly for this show. I could totally see them doing Thriller! Maybe this will be next year’s Halloween episode! I would love to see Kurt or Finn do the moonwalk, would you? It seems they’re doing Thriller for the post-Superbowl show but I want to see a whole tribute!
Are there any tribute shows you would like to see happen on Glee?