Okay, I used to think the No.1 spot on the Billboard 200 album chart was such a coveted position. Obviously it is for any artist. When I was in elementary school, I used to go to Disc Jockey at the mall in Cumberland and go to the very back of the store to see the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart and the Billboard 200 albums chart. I don’t know why I was so obsessed with it, but I was fascinated by them.
I was browsing today’s Billboard 200 album chart and saw some artists’ peak positions and some stats, that had me blown away! I am actually wondering if there is a glitch on Billboard’s website. Here are some of the ones that had me screaming “no way in hell!” at work:
1. Slipknot’s album “All Hope Is Gone” is currently ranked No.177, has been on the charts for 48 weeks, and has a peak position at No.1!
2. Disturbed, a band I’ve never even heard of, have been on the charts for 66 weeks, and have also peaked at No.1 with the album “Indestructable.” Check out the stupid album artwork which just looks like someone Googled “Photoshopped Nightmare.” The artwork alone will have rednecks and motorcycle gangs blasting this shit for days.
3. Rick Ross apparently released an album in May which debuted at No.1. What?
4. Daughtry, who I can’t stand and who was one of the runners-up a few seasons ago on American Idol is now 2 for 2 with No.1 albums. Taylor Hicks, who has dropped off the face of the Earth and has no career, won American Idol that year. Apparently Daughtry’s first album was the highest selling album in 2007.
5. Keith Urban is another one of those artists who magically got an album to No.1 even though no one likes his music — a clear flaw in the ranking system.
6. At first, I was never a huge Taylor Swift fan, but she has definitely grown on me. Her albums stats are also ridiculous. Her self-titled debut album is back in the Top 40 and has been on the charts for 144 weeks. Her newest album “Fearless” just continues to break records. I wish I were her age with zillions of dollars!
7. In what may be the most fascinating to me is some girl named Chrisette Michele, whose name sounds like one of the girlfriends from Alvin and the Chipmunks, has an album named “Epiphany” that went to No.1 and has been on the charts for 12 weeks. She’s an R&B artist, and I have never heard of her or any of her music in my life.
I can’t wait to see what other unknown debuts at No.1 or stays on the charts for 900 weeks!