New Application in iLife ’11 Will Be FaceTime July 26, 2010Posted by johnthrasher in App Talk, Geek Talk, iPhone, Personally John, technology.
Tags: Apple, FaceTime, iLife, iPhone, iTunes, technology
Today the website Mac 4 Ever has claimed that iLife ’11 will be released August 7th (a Saturday…?). The website highlights the following tidbits:
- ILife ’11 would be sold $ 79
- The release date should be 08/07/2010
- All applications will be 64-bit
- Improvements in iPhoto faces & places
- Improving the integration of social networks
- iWeb will be totally renewed
- New application (mystery!)
- Disappearance of iDVD that will be downloaded (like iMovie HD)
- MobileMe gallery in beta (with faces & places)
To me, this is a no brainer. The new application is obviously going to be FaceTime.
The number 1 question I get from people who aren’t familiar with iPhone 4/iChat is “Can you FaceTime with a computer?” Well considering it’s WiFi only, you’d think so. But as of now you can not. But the logical next step would be to release a FaceTime application for Mac and PC.
I have a hunch that FaceTime might be Mac only or something first, since it would be released with iLife ’11 which is Mac only. But iTunes is a free download so I don’t see why FaceTime couldn’t be.
The only thing I wouldn’t get is how they would separate FaceTime with iChat. I mean essentially they are the same thing, and would make more sense to combine them. Either way the rumor mills are going to be kicked in to full drive here in the coming weeks, and I’m sure people will start to deduce FaceTime as being the logical new application.
Though there’s also a possibility that the mystery application won’t be FaceTime. What do you think it will be?
MTV TJ Challenge 1 – “Now You See Me” Podcast! July 8, 2010Posted by johnthrasher in App Talk, Geek Talk, iPhone, Movies/Film, MTV TJ, Music, Personally John, technology, Television, tennis, Travel.
Tags: Challenge 1, Italy, John Thrasher, MTV, podcast, radio, technology, TJ, Travel
Having a little bit of John Thrasher in your pants pocket just got a WHOLE LOT EASIER!
My first MTV TJ challenge was to tell the world who I am using whatever types of media I wanted. I decided that having me on your iPod, iPhone, iPad, or iTunes was definitely the best way for you to get to know me. Now you can download my podcast, sync it to your iPod or iPhone, and watch me tell my life story in 3 minutes!
It’s all about accessibility…and having me in your pants pocket!!
So, click here to download my first podcast “Now You See Me – Getting To Know MTV TJ John Thrasher,” and find out what some of these screen shots from the podcast are all about!
If you’re watching on iTunes, make sure that you have the album artwork popped up in the lower left hand corner of iTunes.
Also, thank you to all 79 people who checked out my last minute live UStream channel last night! I had SOOO much fun and look forward to meeting/talking with you guys again! Keep those hilarious questions coming!
Last Minute Thoughts on WWDC ’10! June 7, 2010Posted by johnthrasher in App Talk, Geek Talk, iPhone, technology.
Tags: Apple, gadgets, iPhone, software, technology, WWDC
add a comment
The day has arrived! WWDC ’10 begins today with a usual Keynote presentation from the head of Apple, Steve Jobs. Typically this is the time of the year when Apple announces a new iPhone. After the leak of what ended up being a real iPhone, back in April, we can pretty much expect what’s going to be announced today when it comes to the newest device. Here’s what I’ve gathered about the new iPhone, which I think will be called, iPhone HD:
- After a close up inspection of the leaked iPhone, it turns out it had a whopping 960×640 display! Wow! That quadruples the current iPhone resolution.
- It will 99.9% have a front facing camera.
- It will 99.9% have a flash on one if not both sides.
- It will run Apple’s new A4 chip that they use in the iPad which is super fast.
That’s about all there is to say about the form factor of the iPhone. I did think of something on my own today. With a front facing camera, it probably makes sense that the iPhone is a little more boxy…so that you can set it on a counter, or table and use it as a video recording device. With a rounded edge of the iPhone 3G and 3GS, a front facing camera would be impossible to stand on any surface.
Along with WWDC, there will probably be a few announcements of other products. After acquiring Lala, a cloud-based music streaming service, Apple will more than likely introduce this to the iPhone and probably iPad, and iPod touch. I never have any issues streaming audio over 3G, so I will be very excited about this possibility. With the introduction of a new HD camera and display, people are going to need their internal storage for these high capacity files.
I also think that Apple TV is going to be updated today. From what I’m reading on the net, the Apple TV is being completely revamped, and will be the size of an iPhone, just without a display. If this is true, it’s obvious that Apple will be eliminating internal storage on the Apple TV, or at least drastically reducing it, and allowing the Apple TV to stream from cloud-based storage. Apparently the price point is going to be $99, which will definitely give me incentive to purchase one.
And what about that pesky old thing called Mac OS X? Analysts are saying that it’s unlikely there will be a preview of 10.7 (as there usually is every year) because so much of Apple attention has been geared towards iPhone and iPad development. Okay, I don’t need a preview, but a name for the cat they are using as the code would be really fantastic to say over and over again to myself. Mac OS 10.7 – Kitty Cat!
I’m sure we’ll see an upgrade to Safari tomorrow. I don’t really care about this because I use Google Chrome.
And in what I am hoping for the most, even more than an iPhone, is the upgrade to MobileMe! I am a huge MobileMe endorser, but didn’t renew my subscription in February, mainly because I wasn’t enjoying paying $100 for services that I can use for free (Gmail, Dropbox, Back to My Mac). The rumor is that Apple will be announcing a couple new features with MobileMe, as well as announcing that it’s FREE! I have a feeling there will be a catch to this. I doubt anyone can just go sign up for it. Probably new iPhone and iPad users get it for free, which I would be totally okay with.
Steve Jobs emailed a user and told him that he “won’t be disappointed” so hopefully that means that WWDC ’10 is going to rock my socks.
I’ll be back later today with a check list of what came to reality and what didn’t. Fingers crossed!
Apple’s New iPhone Leaked…And It’s Ugly April 19, 2010Posted by johnthrasher in App Talk, Geek Talk, iPhone, technology.
Tags: Apple, gadgets, Gizmodo, iPhone, iPhone 4, leak, technology
UPDATE: Turns out that this was in fact an Apple iPhone prototype. Is it the EXACT version that we are going to see in June? Probably. You can bet the cameras, microphones, and general design will be the same. I was wondering if I should hold out and get a new iPhone instead of the iPad, but it looks like I’ll be getting an iPad. The iChat features probably won’t work over 3G anyway.
Here’s the letter Apple has sent to Gizmodo:
I’m not sure how you can enjoy Apple design in the past and think that this new supposed iPhone looks good but here it is:
Gizmodo posted the pics of the phone which was apparently this was left at some bar somewhere and it managed to get photographed and leaked all over the internet. What makes me believe that this is actually an iPhone and not some Japanese market knock off is mainly because it has a 30-pin connector at the bottom. Most iPhone rip offs have a USB type plug (like the Razr). Plus the design looks like a typical direction Apple would go.
It apparently has a front facing camera, and the sim card slot is now on the side, which when popped shows that they are using MicroSim. Overall it’s not bad but the two circular volume buttons just drive me crazy. And the segmented lining of the phone looks like it took 95,000 parts to create, which goes against the sleekness of Apple’s unibody-style of design that makes the 3G and 3GS look so good.
I’m surprised that it has been leaked this early over someone’s careless misplacement. I’m sure whoever left it in a bar is probably fired by now. There’s also a part of me that thinks that this could just be some sort of decoy. I mean the design is very unlike Apple, in my opinion. Could it be that they’ve planted this device somewhere to get it all over the interwebs so that when the actual iPhone 4 comes out, it will be to everyone’s surprise?
Is This A Photo Of The Apple Tablet? January 26, 2010Posted by johnthrasher in App Talk, Geek Talk, iPhone, Movies/Film, Music, technology.
Tags: Apple, iPad, iSlate, Mac, Steve Jobs, tablet, technology
add a comment
These images were posted by MacRumors.com. They’re saying that the photos are gaining interest and that they were both taken at the same time, but with geolocation info saying one was in Germany while the other was in California. MacRumors is not posting these as actual pictures, but rather as a means of interest.
Either way this looks very convincing. It may not be the real thing, but it could definitely be a mock-up of some kind. I guess we’ll find out tomorrow!
My Thoughts On the Upcoming Apple Tablet January 19, 2010Posted by johnthrasher in App Talk, Geek Talk, iPhone, Movies/Film, technology, Television.
Tags: Apple, apps, Geek, iPhone, iSlate, tablet, technology
1 comment so far
By now it’s no secret that Apple is about to unveil its long awaited tablet device. Will it be called iSlate? Surface? Just Apple Tablet? Who knows. But after scouring tech blogs and rumor sites for the last couple of years here are a few of the things I see happening when Apple lifts the cloth on this new device, on January 27.
- It’s been rumored iPhone OS 4.0 is coming. Something tells me that it will be a huge overhaul of the software. 3.0 was pretty significant itself, but with all the new APIs and fun tablet stuff that can work alongside the iPhone, I expect a very different look and feel to the iPhone itself.
- The invitation above, which was sent today to select media outlets, says a lot. Going for an artistic look, you can see spray paint blotches and drips. I don’t think they are used with a finger…which makes me believe there might be a stylus attached to the tablet. I wouldn’t be a fan.
- Will there be a return of colored machines, like the old iMacs? The colors used in the invitation are almost identical to the colors in the iPod Nano line. I am wondering if we will get to choose a tablet color to our liking, the same way we can with the iPod Nanos? That could be interesting.
- Amongst all of the sites I read, everyone is wondering who the target audience is going to be. One demographic that I think people are forgetting: kids. With the right apps and software, kids could have an absolute blast with an Apple tablet device. Not just for fun, but for education too. I would expect somewhat of a lean towards that if not at first, then eventually.
- It’s been rumored that the new tablet will be released with a new touch version of iLife. This makes sense in regards to productivity with the tablet. They can’t just sell this thing as a “bigger iPhone” because frankly the iPhone is getting boring in my opinion. I don’t have the same excitement about it I once had a year or two ago. However, a new version of iLife could really change the way people use computers. I’m excited to see what comes with iLife. I am thinking a new application would be nice!
This is just some of my rambling about what I think might happen on January 27. Either way I don’t think we’re going to see the tablet until March at the earliest. I’m hoping iPhone OS 4.0 gets released the same day. That would be brilliant! I’ll post back when the news is announced in about a week.
Apple Tablet Talk Revving Up! December 24, 2009Posted by johnthrasher in App Talk, Geek Talk, iPhone, Music, Personally John, technology.
Tags: Apple, apps, Engaget, Google, internet, iPhone, MacRumors, rumors, Steve Jobs, tablet, technology, TUAW
add a comment
We’ve all been hearing rumors about Apple’s tablet production in process over the last year. But, the rumor mill hit was a-churnin’ yesterday as several reliable sources are now saying that Apple is scheduling a preview or release come January.
According to The New York Times, and a few other reliable sources, here is what we (‘we’ being the fanboys) are apparently taking as truth:
- Apple has reserved a space for a few days, specifically January 26, for a product announcement, at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco. This is the same site that the music events (iPod refreshes) are held each fall.
- The announcement will be a 7 and 10 inch Apple tablet.
- Apple has asked select developers to begin producing high-res versions of their apps for demonstration on a larger mobile device.
- It’s unlikely the product will be available right away, giving developers time to mature their apps for the new device.
- Users will be ‘surprised’ at how they will interact with the tablet.
- Possibility of an iPhone refresh – upgrading the camera to 5 megapixels, and possible high-res screen to compete with Nexus and Droid products.
- Steve Jobs, after many canceled tablet projects, now seems to be very happy with the new product that is expected to be announced.
Though there are a variety of specs floating around the internet, there is one thing that I think we should all expect on these tablets: SD card slots. I mentioned this in a previous post. Considering Apple has no other device that requires or uses SD cards, I thought it was interesting and peculiar that they would randomly refresh the iMacs and MacBooks to have SD cards. Of course people with digital cameras use them, but it seemed like a rather large and interesting update. I can totally see Apple promoting the idea of using interchangeable SD cards on the tablet and your iMacs/MacBooks, or some variation of this.
I guess we’ll find out soon enough!
The above picture is not what the new tablet is expected to look like, and is just a concept image I found on Google Images. Though I have to say I can’t imagine an Apple tablet looking dramatically different than that. We’ve come to nearly expect certain designs of products based on products of the past.
Check Out Apple’s New “Magic Mouse” October 20, 2009Posted by johnthrasher in Geek Talk, technology.
Tags: "news", Apple, gadgets, Magic Mouse, Mighty Mouse, technology
add a comment
Geeks Freak: Snow Leopard Available Friday!! August 24, 2009Posted by johnthrasher in App Talk, Geek Talk, iPhone, technology.
Tags: Apple, Mac, Snow Leopard, technology
1 comment so far
Are you freaking out right now!? Apple announced that Snow Leopard, the moderate upgrade to 2007′s Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, will be available for Leopard users for a mere $29 on Friday! I’m still debating if I want to go to Pittsburgh or just pre-order it and have it arrive on my door step on Friday.
Tags: 3.0 software, 3.1, Apple, augmented, iPhone, reality, technology
add a comment
I am speechless about this augmented reality app that is going to be released when 3.1 comes out. Check it out for yourself below.