John’s Glee Recap: “Original Song” March 16, 2011Posted by johnthrasher in Geek Talk, John's Glee Recaps!.
1 comment so far
Another week. Another hideous picture of my face Photoshopped in to a McKinley high school student’s body.
Last night’s episode was pretty fantastic, but I do have some gripes.
Season 2, Episode 16, “Original Song”
KLAINE – So let’s just jump right in to the big event. Blaine kissed Kurt! I was running around NYC and missed the beginning of the episode last night, and then just decided not to watch it until later with my friend Kori who was DVR’ing it. But, I was reading Twitter and saw what happened! So, I was a bit spoiled by the time it happened, but I am VERY glad it happened nonetheless. Besides the cheesy “You moved me, Kurt” I was definitely teary-eyed and freaking out for Kurt. Blaine is a very up and down character, who just as much as he knows himself, doesn’t know himself at all. Think over this season who he’s kissed, what he’s said, who he’s been interested in. He’s the gay version of Finn, I think. So while I am VERY happy that the Klaine romance has begun officially, I can’t help but suspect that Kurt is going to eventually have his heart broken. I am very protective of Kurt, and am hoping that this won’t happen…but in the realm of television it’s almost a certainty.
So while I LOVED that entire scene (did anyone else get butterflies when Blaine was staring at Kurt singing ‘Blackbird?’), I do think that I was expecting a little more of a hype. Glee is good at throwing fastballs (like this one), but with this kind of romance you almost want to see one or both of them break down and confess their love for each other. On the show, there hasn’t really been THAT much courting by either person…and now suddenly Blaine has found his “moment” and is making out with Kurt!? Again, very excited that it’s happening, I just thought that there would be more to it than that.
Kurt singing “Blackbird” in his all-black ensemble was beautiful. I’ve LOVED the song “Blackbird” for a really long time, and hearing his rendition made me love it even more.
QUINN – I’m SOOOOOOO over Quinn. I’m also over Finn. Luckily they’re both involved with each other, so maybe they’ll write them off the show easier!? I could only hope. That whole scene at the piano made me want to FLIP THE F OUT on Quinn. And don’t even get me started on when Rachel was sitting on her bed crying!! Much like Kurt, I am protective of Rachel Berry, and ANYONE who makes Rachel sob and cry like that immediately becomes my arch-nemesis. That whole inner dialogue thing at the beginning of the episode was the most we had even heard from Quinn all season. Let’s go back to just keeping her in the background. Plskthnks.
TROUTY MOUTH – Um, did Santana REALLY just make up a song about Sam’s mouth? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Love it. Where can I download it?
BIG ASS HEART – Something interesting needs to happen with Puck/Lauren. I liked the style of the song, but…
HELL TO THE NO – Hell to the YESSS! This is one of my favorite songs that Mercedes has EVER sang! I need more of this in my life.
So now that The Warblers didn’t make it to nationals, where will Kurt be singing? I hear they are doing an episode centered around Lady Gaga’s “Born This Way” song. I see Kurt heading back to McKinley, and having a confrontation with Karofsky! It better happen!
Random Thoughts I Didn’t Feel Like Developing (RTIDFLD)
- The Warblers were SO cheesy and ridic at Regionals. Candles was beautiful. Raise Your Glass was cringeworthy.
- I had heard a character dies during this episode. Turns out it was Pavarotti. WTF.
- Love that Sue is back to raising hell.
- LOVED Rachel Berry’s original song at Regionals!
- I want to be friends with Sister Mary Constance.
- Kathy Griffin was just meh.
Glee won’t be new again until APRIL. UGH! So go catch up on some of this season’s happenings…there are only a few episodes left!
Thank You Chris Colfer! January 17, 2011Posted by johnthrasher in Television.
Tags: Chris Colfer, Glee, Golden Globes
add a comment
Even though the Golden Globes and the Hollywood Foreign Press aren’t really barometers of success and are largely fan-based, I have to say that Chris Colfer winning a Golden Globe, his reaction, his speech, and Lea Michele’s reaction made for a really great moment on television! Check it out below, and thank you Chris for being who you are!
Glee Gives Us Lump of Coal With Christmas Episode December 9, 2010Posted by johnthrasher in Television.
1 comment so far
Okay so I apparently stirred the pot without even knowing when I said that I wasn’t a fan of this week’s Glee episode. People are wondering why I hate it, so here’s why.
This week was the Christmas episode which found a high school student still believing in Santa, and a cheerleading coach and students uninvitedly roaming around their choir teacher’s house while he’s not there.
I’m always the first person to defend Glee when people like Dave Ryan complain about McKinley high school’s production budget. I get it – it seems over the top. But that’s what this show is. If you can’t suspend your disbelief about elements that make the show fun, then stop watching, right?
So I probably come off seeming like I should have my foot in my mouth when I say that this week’s show was just a tad more unbelievable than ever. Not because of the school budget for the glee club…but because of the story arch.
Here are some things that are giving me a red rump:
- Having a high school student believe in Santa Claus could have been Brittany’s one-liner for the episode. Instead, it was the entire arch of the episode! The writers are getting too comfortable with her and need to move on.
- I was annoyed with the Finn and Rachel situation. I was sick of Finn constantly being a jerk to Rachel. She’s trying. Be nice. (this is just my opinion).
- Sue wrecking THE ENTIRE choir room was a bit ridiculous.
- The Will/Emma storyline is the exact same every single week. Recently Emma got engaged, and that has been the ONLY development of that for the last 5 or 6 weeks. It’s becoming very boring to watch and is usually the time I interject with my thoughts about the episode thus far.
- Beiste not only dressing up like Santa Claus, but then going to Brittany’s house. WTF? This just isn’t even real life anymore! I get that it’s somewhat possible, but …there is a portion of this show that people connect with because it’s relatable. That makes no sense and would never ever happen in reality.
- Finally, Sue and all the glee kids IN SHUE’S HOUSE while he’s not there…to bring him Christmas spirit! – WHAT!? – Not only would that scenario never happen, but never with these character relationships! Did Sue sit down and have a heart to heart with the glee club? NO! What on Earth is going on!?
I could go on for days about the episode. It was cute in a very very surface level way. Other than that, the writing was everywhere, and the characters were not coming off as believable in any way.
So, there you have it @kcessna!
Glee Returns with Britney/Madonna Back-to-Backs! December 8, 2010Posted by johnthrasher in Geek Talk, Movies/Film, Music, Television.
Tags: Britney Spears, Glee, Madonna
add a comment
Gleeks everywhere ended the first half of season 2 last night, but there’s good news!
Glee is returning next week with back-to-back episodes: The Power of Madonna and Britney/Brittany episodes!
2 hours of pop starlet inspired Glee episodes is a nice consolation for having to wait months for the rest of the season!
5 Tribute Shows Glee NEEDS To Do! November 29, 2010Posted by johnthrasher in Lady Gaga, Movies/Film, technology, Television.
Tags: Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, Cole Porter, Glee, Joey Fatone, John Thrasher, Lady Gaga, Madonna, Michael Jackson, New Kids on the Block, NSync, Spice Girls
add a comment
We’re about half way through season 2 of Glee, and we’ve already had our fair share of Glee tribute shows. The Power of Madonna, Lady Gaga, the Britney episode and Rocky Horror. So, I thought what are some tribute shows that Glee, being a show all about musicals and entertainment, should definitely do? Below are 5 tribute episodes I want to see VERY soon!
1. Rent – Rent was arguably the biggest musical of the 90′s. It just makes sense that Glee would eventually do this. We already saw Idina Menzel as Rachel’s mother, so maybe she could find her way back to the show? I think a Rent show would be just as exciting as a Madonna, Britney, or Rocky Horror show! They could even tie it in with someone getting kicked out of their house and trying to get their own place. May be a bit mature for high school students but I could totally see Finn getting kicked out of the house for doing something stupid and swearing he’s going to get his own place, only to realize he can’t do it on his own, and ends up coming back. Yes, Ryan Murphy if you would like to hire me as a writer gimme a ring.
2. The Great American Songbook – This isn’t as glamorous and probably wouldn’t build as much excitement, but considering it was one of the best times in American musical history, it just seems right. Maybe even a whole tribute to Cole Porter!? This would get a lot of musical Glee fans excited…but maybe not the viewing public in general. They’ve already done a few Songbook songs, but a whole tribute show would be amazing!
3. Boybands/Girlbands – With a talented, good-looking cast, it seems like this would be the next great tribute episode. After seeing the Britney episode, Joey Fatone said that he would love to have an NSync tribute show. Yes, NSync was big, but they’re not relevant at all anymore. Something like Backstreet Boys, NSync, New Kids, Boyz II Men. The girls could get in on it too – Spice Girls, All Saints, En Vogue (OMG just had a flash of Mercedes singing Free Your Mind), Destiny’s Child! This could really be a fantastic episode. Plus with New Kids and Backstreet Boys touring together, they could make an appearance to promote their tour! NKOTBSB!
4. Spice Girls – I could actually see a whole Spice Girls episode happening. I mean they DID have their own movie, and gigantic huge successful reunion tour. There’s no doubting the Spice Girls had a huge influence on pop culture and music. Being one of the biggest (if not THE biggest) Spice Girls fan I know (I ain’t got no shame), a Spice Girls tribute show would only make sense. And seeing as how they’re all laying pretty low (minus Mel B) at the moment, I’m sure they would all love to be on the show. How fun would that be!
5. Michael Jackson – I don’t even know if they can get royalties to songs like this, but a Michael Jackson episode seems inevitable. With all the different iconic images of Michael, it seems like it would fit perfectly for this show. I could totally see them doing Thriller! Maybe this will be next year’s Halloween episode! I would love to see Kurt or Finn do the moonwalk, would you? It seems they’re doing Thriller for the post-Superbowl show but I want to see a whole tribute!
Are there any tribute shows you would like to see happen on Glee?
Glee’s Darren Criss Signed as Series Regular! November 15, 2010Posted by johnthrasher in Television.
Tags: Billboard, Darren Criss, Glee
add a comment
Good news Glee fans! Glee’s latest hearthrob Darren Criss who plays Kurt’s romantic interest Blaine, has just been signed as a series regular for the rest of season 2, and all of season 3!
This means more Teenage Dream swooning!
Happy Holidays From Glee! November 12, 2010Posted by johnthrasher in Television.
add a comment
Check out the Glee Christmas card that was released, in all their ugly sweater glory! I’m loving Brittany’s face.
Spring Awakening Coming to WVU! October 21, 2010Posted by johnthrasher in Music, Personally John.
Tags: Glee, John Thrasher, Spring Awakening, WVU
add a comment
The “Spring Awakening” national tour is coming to WVU on November 1st! As some of you know, I am working for WVU Arts & Entertainment, so spread the news on your blog, Facebook, Twitter etc!
Rocky Horror Weekend! October 19, 2010Posted by johnthrasher in Music.
Tags: Glee, John Thrasher, Rocky Horror, The Rocky Horror Picture Show
add a comment
I’m a little late with this post but better late than never! On Friday my friend Kate and I went to the local theatre here in my hometown to see some friends of mine in The Rocky Horror Show! It was so good! My friends Rhett and Shea were the leads Brad and Janet. My friend Danny was in the chorus and the choreographer for the show. We ended up running in to our friends Josh, Jackie and Jordan as well. I couldn’t take any pictures while I was in the show, so the picture you see of the cast is the one that was posted on the website.
If you are in the Cumberland, Maryland area you should really check this show out! It’s soooooooo fun! Halloween is my favorite time of the year, and having Rocky Horror play live is just a ton of fun. It’s only $10 if you have a student ID! Rocky Horror for $10 – you can’t go wrong!
Kate and I had a blast, and I definitely intend to see it again sometime over the next few weeks. With Glee set to premiere its Rocky Horror episode a week from tonight, I’ve been in Rocky Horror picture mode a lot lately!
The live show here in Cumberland plays Thursdays-Sundays from now through Halloween. For more information check out the Cumberland Theatre website.