2013 Golden Globes Predictions January 13, 2013Posted by johnthrasher in Uncategorized.
add a comment
Best Picture, Drama Lincoln
Best Picture, Musical or Comedy Les Miserables
Best Director Quentin Tarantino, Django Unchained
Best Actress, Drama Marion Cotillard, Rust and Bone
Best Actor, Drama Joaquin Phoenix, The Master
Best Actor, Musical or Comedy Ewan McGregor, Salmon Fishing in the Yemen
Best Actress, Musical or Comedy Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
Best Supporting Actress Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
Best Supporting Actor Leonardo DiCaprio, Django Unchained
Best Screenplay David O. Russell, Silver Linings Playbook
Best Original Score John Williams, Lincoln
Best Original Song Skyfall
Best Foreign Language Film Rust and Bone
Best Animated Feature Brave
Best Television Comedy or Musical Modern Family
Best Television Drama Homeland
Best Miniseries or Television Movie Hatfields & McCoys
Best Actress, Televisoin Drama Claire Danes, Homeland
Best Actor, Television Drama Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad
Best Actress, Television Comedy or Musical Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep
Best Actor, Television Comedy or Musical Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory
Best Actress In A Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television Jessica Lange, American Horror Story: Asylum
Best Actor in a Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television Benedict Cumberbatch, Sherlock
Best Supporting Actress in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television Maggie Smith, Downtwon Abbey
Best Supporting Actor in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television Eric Stonestreet, Modern Family
Johnnukkah Begins at Sundown Tonight January 10, 2013Posted by johnthrasher in Uncategorized.
add a comment
It’s that time of the year again! Johnnukkah! For those who don’t know, Johnnukkah is a festival of presents that you give to me for 2 weeks before AND after my birthday.
Like last year, I’ll provide you with more information about Johnnukkah including what you can eat and do to celebrate:
What is Johnnukkah?
Johnnukkah is a festival of presents. Given to me each day for 2 weeks before AND after my birthday. Seeing that I was born unto this world on January 24th, Johnnukkah begins at dawn every year on January 10th and ends at dusk on Feburary 7th.
the F*** celebrates Johnnukkah?
So far, I am the only person that celebrates Johnnukkah. And that’s alright by me. I just hope that eventually it’ll catch on and the presents start pouring in.
Why was Johnnukkah created?
Mainly for me to get presents every day. For 4 weeks.
What food do you eat during Johnnukkah?
Hale and Hearty Tomato Basil soup. Anything from Amy’s Bread. Cupcakes. Thai food. Gummy bears. Anything that makes your soul feel better.
What are some things I can do to observe the 4 weeks of Johnnukkah on my own if I can’t send you a present?
Well you should really send me a present every day for 2 weeks before and after my birthday. But if times are tough, I
understand hope you find a way to make it happen. However, some activities that you could do to celebrate Johnnukkah are:
- watch Oxygen
- listen to Lady Gaga on full blast and try to do the dances
- play with your iPhone
- play tennis
- nap all day long
- wear sweatpants in public
- order food at a restaurant with a British accent
- stare at MacBooks on the online Apple store
- Congratulate Serena Williams on just existing
Don’t you think this is conceited, John?
Um no. I don’t. I like presents.
So mark your calendars folks because Johnnukkah is in full force today!!! WHAT DID YOU GET ME!?
13 Reasons 2012 Was My Best Year Ever December 31, 2012Posted by johnthrasher in Personally John.
add a comment
A year ago I was telling everyone that 2012 was going to be a big year for me. I don’t know why but it just felt like it was going to be one of those years I’d look back at and smile. Part of it is that I always seem to have amazing years when it’s an even numbered year. Nothing against odd numbers – it just turns out that way. It turns out my prediction was true.
The reason I am recapping my year like this is so that when I’m older I can look back at what was going on in my life and remember it (which was my reason for starting a blog to over 10 years ago to begin with).I have the worst memory of anyone I know so this documenting of life is really important to me.
1. Meeting Darren Criss – If you know me at all you know I’m a huge Glee fan and moreover a Darren Criss fan. The AMAZING friends I cohost Glee Chat with on Hypable chipped in and bought me a ticket to see Darren in How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying. If that weren’t enough Natalie even met me there and we got to stand at the stage door together (our first meetup!) as we talked to him. Darren’s a very very nice guy and his character shined in a moment between him and Natalie. What a way to kick of 2012!
2. Hypable Turns 1 Year Old – Hypable.com is something that is so very special to me. Andrew, Richard, Mason and I turned our ideas in to what is now becoming a staple in online fandom. What more could I ask for? I’m really lucky to be a part of something I care so much about. I can’t wait to celebrate our 2nd year April 2013!
3. WVU – After a long struggle that many of you know, I finally got dat degree! All I’ll say is that dark cloud over my head was quickly turned to sunshine this May.
4. Phillip Opens Owen – There’s nothing I love more than seeing my friends and family happy and successful. This year I got to celebrate the grand opening of one of my best friend’s boutiques, Owen. Phillip has been working so hard on this for so long and it was such a beautiful moment to see him open his doors. Here’s a picture I took of him closing his doors on his first day!
5. Traveling to California / San Diego Comic-Con – In June 2011 I told myself that I would do whatever it takes to make it to Comic-Con in 2012. And voila I did! Though this might not seem like a huge deal, anyone who has applied for a press pass for Comic-Con will tell you that it’s a huge achievement just to get your application submitted! I had always wondered when I would visit California and luckily I had an amazing, beautiful time. I had a blast at Comic-Con, met and became very good friends with Debra Wilson, and spent a couple days in L.A. with one of my best friends, Andrew. I also got to meet up with Robby! Couldn’t have asked for a better experience!
6. Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day – Wow. I remember the first time I went to the U.S. Open in 2009 I was standing at the top of Arthur Ashe Stadium emmersed in the event thinking: “why don’t I work here?” 3 years later I became the social media manager for Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day! The people I worked with (Todd, Michael, Chris, Seth) made it a truly amazing work setting. It was so much fun working with and meeting Carly Rae Jepsen, The Wanted, Jordin Sparks, Rachel Crow, Quddus, Missy Franklin, Sloane Stephens and many more. However, one of the biggest moments of my life was when I not only met Andy Roddick but took his picture with Quddus and the greatest tennis player of all time Roger Federer. I’m still pinching myself wondering if this happened:
7. Getting to the Finals of the Cumberland Open – Though I was 2 games away from winning this tournament, I ended up losing in the finals! Just getting to the finals with such awesome talent in Cumberland was really exciting for me. I improved on my results from 2011 and that’s always a good thing.
8. Matt’s Master’s Recital – I met Matt in 2003 and though we haven’t been roommates since 2005, he’s a brother to me. Much like me, he’s had a long journey to his finish lines, but he crossed them. I went to Buffalo, NY to watch him perform his last recital for a small group of family and close friends. It was so amazing to see someone spend so much time on becoming the best at something and having it all pay off! I can’t wait to see what he does next.
9. Serena Williams win Wimbledon, 2 gold medals, the U.S. Open and the season ending Championships – Some people may find this to not be a big deal in their personal lives but when you admire someone as much as I admire Serena, this directly contributes to your overall happiness. Seeing her win the last 4 biggest titles of the year, particularly her gold medal in singles, made me such a happy person. As a tennis player and as a fan these were all huge highlights of 2012!
10. Meeting J.K. Rowling – I still can’t believe this happened. In October, I met up with several Hypable staff members as we went to J.K. Rowling’s Casual Vacancy event in New York City. After the event, we all got to meet her as she signed copies of our books. I said, “Thank you so much for all you’ve done,” to which she responded, “Oh, it’s my pleasure!” with a smile and a twinkle in her eye. I’ve never felt star struck in my life but I was a bit overwhelmed with emotion to have had an exchange with someone I truly admire.
11. My Grandparents’ 50th Wedding Anniversary – This October my amazing and incredible aunt Mechele surprised my grandparents with an awesome party to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. My Dad, my uncle Mark, my cousin Maci and tons of my grandparents friends came and it was an absolute blast! It was so nice to take a moment and celebrate the 2 people who are probably most influential of my life.
12. Obama + Equality – This year we saw Barack Obama reelected as President and marriage equality passed at the ballot box in 4 out fo the 4 states it was on – INCLUDING MARYLAND! It’s really starting to feel like the country is moving forward when it comes to respect. Talk about an amazing year – this was the icing on the cake.
13. Working at Oxygen – After years and years of trying and contemplating when I’d be here full time, I landed one of the most amazing gigs in all the lands: social media coordinator for Oxygen! My life has changed VERY dramatically in the last 2 months but I couldn’t be happier. Living here in NYC, being around my best friends, and meeting all the incredible people I work with (no seriously, they’re like THE BEST people) has been something I’ve not taken for granted. I’m still kind of emotional about the whole thing (and the amazing people I’ve met thus far) so I’ll just leave it at that.
Hopefully a year from now I’ll be recapping the amazing events of my 2013. One huge awesome event that will be happening in the first couple weeks of 2013 is finally getting a key to my own apartment here in NYC! Already off to a great start!
Thank you to everyone who contributed to one of the best years of my life. My friends are my family and I am so lucky and thankful to be in a place to look back at 2012 and smile. Here’s to 2013!
Solange – Losing You October 2, 2012Posted by johnthrasher in Uncategorized.
add a comment
I want to share this with you. Sol Angel and the Hadley Street Dreams was one of those albums that soundtracked my life at the time.
San Diego Comic-Con Day 1 + California In General July 13, 2012Posted by johnthrasher in Geek Talk.
Tags: Comic Con
add a comment
I’ve just finished my first whole day at Comic-Con! It was sooooo much fun! There were a couple of moments where I got so excited I kind of lost my breath. There’s just so much to see and so much to experience that it literally feels like Christmas!
This is also my first time in California. San Diego, while somewhat quiet, is definitely a very beautiful place. I'm so used to the cars, sirens and general noise of New York City that when I’m in a city and there are literally no people walking down some streets, with no noise, a bit jarring.
I get why people love SoCal though. Just being here I can feel the buzz, the atmosphere and the culture. I’m still a New Yorker at heart though!
More Comic-Con coverage for Hypable over the weekend including the Glee panel on Saturday! YAY!
Here's a gallery of the photos I took today, including a pug dressed as Batman!
My picks for Wimbledon 2012 June 26, 2012Posted by johnthrasher in tennis.
add a comment
I’m a day late but this still counts right? I suspect it will be a repeat of 2009!
Semifinals: 1 Sharapova vs. 3 Radwanska and 6 Serena Williams vs. 2 Azarenka
Final: 1 Sharapova vs. 6 Serena Williams
Champion: 6 Serena Williams
Semifinals: 1 Djokovic vs. 3 Federer and 2 Nadal vs. 4 Murray
Final: 3 Federer vs. 2 Nadal
Champion: 3 Federer
I’m Working for the U.S. Open! June 25, 2012Posted by johnthrasher in Personally John, tennis.
Tags: Arthur Ashe Kids Day, tennis
1 comment so far
It has been a long time in the making but I am excited to finally tell my friends that I will be the Social Media Consultant for Arthur Ashe Kids Day, a CBS televised event in conjunction with the U.S. Open tennis tournament!
From now through September I will be doing tons of behind-the-scenes work for Arthur Ashe Kids Day! We have some incredible announcements coming over the next couple of months so if you’re a tennis fan be sure to follow @AAKidsDay on Twitter and Facebook! It’s going to be so fun! #DreamJob
I’m going to San Diego Comic Con! June 16, 2012Posted by johnthrasher in Travel.
Tags: Comic Con, San Diego
add a comment
I’ve been so excited preparing for this and now it’s official: I’m going to my first San Diego Comic Con! You might remember that I went to New York Comic Con last fall, but this will be my first time at SDCC.
In fact, this trip (which is full of exciting things) will include a lot of firsts for me:
- First San Diego Comic Con
- First time in California
- First time in Mexico (I’m planning on visiting Tijuana)
- First time in Los Angeles (staying with my buddy Andrew for a few days)
- First time at Disneyland (been to Disney World in Florida, but this is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time)
And I’m sure there will be tons more firsts once I get there!
I plan on going to as many panels as I can, but obviously being the resident Gleek for Hypable.com, I’m particularly excited about the Glee panel that Saturday! And Andrew will be a part of a Harry Potter panel that will take place on Sunday! Details about that are forthcoming, but keep and eye on Hypable for all the details!
I can’t wait to see what kind of shenanigans and memories I come up with in California this year. I know that I definitely wanna visit Disneyland and Griffith Observatory while I’m in LA. I’ll be visiting my couple of friends that live there hopefully too!
Are you going to SDCC, live in San Diego, or Los Angeles and want to suggest things to do or a meet up? Let me know on Twitter @jthrasher!
Gustavo Kuerten June 8, 2012Posted by johnthrasher in tennis.
1 comment so far
If you couldn’t tell, I’m sort of in to tennis. Both playing and professional, I live for it.
Gustavo Kuerten was the surprise winner of the French Open in 1997 and followed it up with 2 more titles in 2000 and 2001.
He sat down with the Tennis Channel and for 8 minutes talked about the death of his father, his handicapped brother, and helping underpriveleged children have a dream – all with a smile on his face. It was 8 minutes of pure beauty. Even if you aren’t a fan of tennis, listen to what he has to say. Happy weekend.
Unfortunately, WordPress still won’t let me embed videos (WHY!?!?!?) so click here to watch the interview.